Births, marriages, divorces, job moves – life doesn’t stop happening, even in the midst of a global pandemic. And, for that reason, we’ve continued to help our buyers find their new homes. However, as we keep moving along, the process looks a bit different. If you’re embarking on a home purchase during these times, here are a few things you can expect:
- You may be asked to view videos or 3D floor plans and perhaps even arrange for a facetime viewing of a property before being allowed physical access.
- As in all areas of our life right now, you will be expected to wear a face covering and possibly gloves and booties (booties are usually provided by the listing agent) when viewing properties.
- Your loan application process may take longer than usual, and the lending rules are stricter than ever. Be prepared to provide documentation of your income, assets, deposits, withdrawals right up until closing day.
- Scheduling a home inspection may take longer than usual. Not all home inspectors are open for business, and those who are working are managing a higher volume of inspections.
- You may not have much access to the property during your transaction if the home you are buying is occupied. Try to do your measuring during your home inspection and be prepared to wait until after closing to bring in any contractors or designers.
- Your closing may happen in an outdoor location, often in the parking lot of your attorney’s office, to minimize close interaction with your legal team.
- Because of delays at the registries of deeds, your transaction may not be recorded the same day as your closing, which means you may not be given the keys to your new home right away. Plan accordingly and don’t expect to be moving in or starting construction that day.
The good news is that your real estate team has been conducting business this way for many weeks now and knows how to guide you through the transaction. We’ve adapted and adjusted in order to keep business moving and ensure that you can still successfully find a new home during this time.